Wednesday, March 25, 2009

the kindle

I was listening to MPR tonight and they were talking about how the book industry is starting to take note of the success of itunes and how it can affect the way books are published. I admit, the Kindle seems awesome and I know it is almost always sold out. Jay raves about it at least once a week after seeing someone on the bus reading it.

I am torn though--I really like the feeling of holding a book and turning the pages myself. It is a nice break from using a computer. I like when a friend passes along a good book to me. I like looking at books on my bookshelf and remembering bits and pieces about them. I like pulling a book off the shelf that I've already read four times and digging in a fifth time.

I'm not sure I could get into a Kindle. I don't mind not owning CD's (I love itunes!) but not owning actual books seems wrong and weird. Like if the grid crashes no one will know how to pick up an actual book and get information from it.

What do you think? Take my poll!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I love the smell of new books...and what about bookstores...love them! I would be so sad if I couldn't spend an evening browsing with an iced skim vanilla latte in my hand. If the whole world went kindle-fied, would there be no bookstores?