Monday, March 9, 2009

interesting news today

So the quest for stem cell research is on. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't really know much about it so I can't really discuss it from an educated point of view. I have this idea that they will create embryos just to take their stem cells and if that is the case, I find that morally repugnant. But at the same time, I am intrigued by the potential to stop diseases. What if Jay could be made un-diabetic? It would be so hard to say no to something like that! I wouldn't have to worry about my kids getting it someday.

I heard someone on NPR today say that if you are opposed to stem cell research then you shouldn't take part in any of the benefits it may offer down the road. Thought that was an interesting comment.

What about embryos that are fertilized for IVF but never used? How does that fit into this?

What would happen to our population if we could cure all these diseases? Not to be harsh but isn't that how the population is controlled, to an extent?

I don't even know if what I am writing has any basis in fact or if it is just stuff I've put together in my head over time. Do you have thoughts on this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's such an interesting topic. A lot (maybe all? not sure) of the stem cells will come from frozen embryos created during fertility processes that were due to be discarded anyways - I'm pretty positive at this point they're still not allowed to create new ones for research purposes.

I'll have to try to find it again, but I was reading an interview yesterday and this one guy was very adamently in the pro-life camp and was saying that stem cell research on embryos was murder, because there's zero difference between an embryo and any other human being. And the other guy came back and said "so are you ok with freezing a 6-year-old girl? why is it ok to freeze embryos for fertility treatments and not little girls?" I don't know why but it made me laugh hysterically.

I digress.

But I think this is a good thing and something we've ignored for too long. I also heard the thought that those opposed shouldn't get to reap any benefits down the road, and that's kind of how I feel too. :) That's not very nice of me though.

Gmax said...

This whole topic does give me the creeps a little. And it reminds me of the crazy OctoMom who said she felt compelled to have all those babies because she couldn't stand knowing the embryos were frozen somewhere-- she felt they were life and she was obligated to see them through.... through to crazytown, but whatever.
Anyway, I am glad I am not a politician at times like this. There are many moral subjects that I find absolutely impossible to come to agreement on. This issue, the death penalty... these are topics that have such strong pros and cons that I don't know how we ever move forward! Anyway, interesting post and I guess we'll all keep watching the news for what comes next!

Anonymous said...

The bottom line is that research was going on with or without the government funding it. Why force people to fund this type of research with their tax dollars if they are morally opposed to it? Recent studies have shown adult stem cells show much more promise that embyotic stem cells anyway. Research has never been stopped - just the funding by the government. Private funding has been going on the whole time. Another example of the press twisting the real message.
Doug