Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Musings about the gym.

I joined Lifetime last week and am loving it. I found that I am much more motivated to exercise when I A) have 2 hours of childcare and B) am around other people, which makes me work harder.

I sweat like a wildebeest--it is not becoming. I tried a Fitness Yoga class today and I am definitely feeling it. Even though my heart rate wasn't really up I was sweating profusely. Can anyone tell me why that is? Yoga isn't really cardio but it still made me sweat and made my muscles shake.

I am highly suspicious of those women that come to the club in a hoodie, sweats and a baseball cap. Then they work out in all the aforementioned clothing and barely break a sweat. Are they not really trying very hard? Or was I somehow cursed with the sweating gene? It makes me feel very self-conscious. Would it be weird to carry a battery powered fan around with me? I think it might be.

I am also highly suspicious of those women that wear full makeup, large earring or fake hair. Yes folks, today I saw a woman with a big fake poof of hair on the elliptical. She also had full makeup and large earrings. And a fully coordinated exercise outfit. It was pretty amazing. I just couldn't stop staring at that fake hair. Not only do I wonder why women wear those in real life, now I have to wonder why they wear them to work out.

Ethan starts preschool tomorrow! I go with him this first time to check things out. I am more excited than he is, I think. He is just going to love it--his curious nature will thrive there. Too bad it is only 5 hours a week!

2 comments:

Cate Mezyk said...

Once I watched a girl in the locker room at Lifetime fix her makeup and hair for literally fifteen minutes BEFORE she went to go work out. It was so fascinating, I couldn't tear my eyes away from her. With one last check to make sure her belly button ring was in the proper position to catch the light as she burned her calories, she headed off to the treadmill. Meanwhile I look like a hot mess everytime I walk through the door.

Shelly said...

I have the sweat gene too!!!! :)

good deal on the working out! Gotta love that 2hours of childcare!!