Tuesday, September 16, 2008

an uncharacteristic moment of indecisiveness

I need your help! I am in a quandary trying to figure out what kind of counter top to get for this kitchen. I was originally thinking Corian but can't really find exactly what I want. I checked out Quartz and like one that was made by Dupont, same people who make Corian. Then I went to a granite place today (where they have the big slabs) and found one that is absolutely gorgeous.

I originally didn't want granite because I've seen it stain and apparently it can give off high levels of radiation/radon. But it is so very pretty and unique looking. Now I just don't know what to do.

The price is relatively the same across the board so don't take that into account.

Comment me! Tell me what you have and why I should get it, or if you were building your dream kitchen, what you would choose. Thanks!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out Cambria, Silestone which are both in between a quartz and polymer. Also just remember that only certain type of granite have high levels of radon. I think it was dependent on what type of rock it came from often you where able to tell what type of rock by the color. I think it was the reds that gave off the worst amounts of radon. Have fun! The floor looks wonderful!

Cate Mezyk said...

I have granite, and I've had no problems with staining. Just make sure you put a seal on every year (it's really easy to do - you just wipe it on and you're done). No radon issues with ours either. Whatever you get is going to look amazing, but I think there's nothing that compares to a natural stone. Your floor is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Granite does the most to improve your home value from what I've heard. And I love how it looks! but ditto on the radon - make sure you look into that before buying.

Missi said...

I would do granite too, for resale purposes and because it's gorgeous. I heard the levels of radon that are found in "most" granite is not enough to be concerned about. But I'm no professional! Maybe you can bring a little radon detector with you!

Anonymous said...

Check www.marble-institute.com They have all the information you need about the radon scare and problems with staining.
Cambria and Silestone are the companies that invested tons of money to induce the scare in people to increase the sales of their plastic surfaces. Apparently, they are not succeeding.

Anonymous said...

Speaking as your Realtor & father-in-love, forget about resale! You are planning on staying there for a few years so get what you want! Obviously, there are a lot of things that are important to resale. However, it is more important to enjoy your home the way you want it and not worry about the next owner. Any of the surfaces you are considering will be an upgrade. Enjoy!