Tuesday, April 7, 2009

jimmy legs

I gots me the jimmy legs. For the past two nights I've barely slept due to this problem. My legs feel like they are humming, almost vibrating. It is such a uncomfortable sensation. Not painful but it does keep me from sleeping. I don't think it is Restless Leg Syndrome because I don't feel an uncontrollable urge to move them, although I do move them a lot. I toss and turn, go hang out downstairs for a while, try going back to bed, go back downstairs, etc. It is a long night.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm going to try stretching for a while before sleep tonight and see if it happens then. It only happens once I am in bed going to sleep. Although today they feel a little weird but I just worked out.

Annoying!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have never had a sensation like that rach. what does the all knowing world wide web have to tell you. on second thought, dont look at the web-most likely its the worst possible diagnosis on there. maybe it some sort of pinched nerve?

Sheri said...

My first thought is that it is a version of restless leg syndrome. I get this (but oddly, mostly in my arms). It helps to move around and shake them out. It also helps to do something that requires using the muscles, like laying down and pushing them against something really hard. I also have noticed that the more tired I am the more likely it will occur, so get to bed early. I also don't get it very often anymore and I am thinking I had it more before because I was anemic. I heard that this can be a cause. You said that you are dieting, so make sure you get plenty of iron and maybe that will help. A good massage of the area also helps, but it comes back when it is over. Good luck!

Susan said...

It sounds like you need to take more calcium. I get this and I take some calicum for a couple of weeks and it really works. You can up it through diet or supplements. You want to make sure it is calcium citrate. Hope this helps.
Susan

Baron Von Prim said...

You could play the entire song "greasy g" by joshua redman on the tenor saxophone down in the basement. The song won't help, but maybe walking up and down the stairs will.

Jon Towey said...

do they make swaddling clothes for adults...?

Hannah said...

I just remembered you guys had a blog and thought I'd see what you were up to! I had RLSish symptoms when I was pregnant and would soak in a bathtub of the coldest water I could handle right before and it really helped. I don't know why, and there's probably way better more permanant solutions, but maybe it's worth a try.