Wednesday, May 12, 2010

odds and ends

What happened to spring? Is weather confusion a sign of climate change?

Not much happening in the Olson house these days. Here are a few highlights:

-Olivia tried to eat a dog biscuit intended for our friends dog. Thankfully Andrew stepped in and kept that item off the list of gross things she has eaten.

-I overslept yesterday but that is not what is interesting about this story. Usually I am on the road to preschool around 8:30 but yesterday we got a later start. Turns out there was a police shooting around 8:30 at the on ramp to the highway---right where I would usually be if I hadn't overslept! Some guy robbed something, carjacked a lady and then stabbed a lady and then got killed by the police right here in my lovely town. Crazy! Not that anything would've happened to us but I definitely wouldn't have wanted my kids to see it go down. I did see the body covered with a sheet on my way back home but didn't bother mentioning this to the kids.

-Olivia and I have really hit our stride as mom and daughter. It started with a mani/pedi while the boys were at a baseball game. Anyone that talks to me regularly knows that Olivia is a delightful yet challenging child. I think I might have figured her out, at least for now. She just wants more one-on-one attention than I was giving her and she doesn't respond to me raising my voice. Now I challenge her to do stuff like, "Bet you can't get those shoes on all by yourself" and then give her tons of praise and high-fives (which she ADORES for some reason). I haven't had to yell at her at all for the last two weeks. I'm happier and I think she is too.

-I got new sneakers and they feel like heaven!

-I conducted a brief experiment with gel nails. Too fancy for me so I got them off after about a month. I am amazed at how wrecked my natural nails are after such a short time! Hopefully they grow back to what they were like before--I used to have to use toenail clippers because they were so thick. Not so right now.

-I am planning to hike the Grand Canyon again in September! Two years ago I hiked it and it darn near beat me so last year I performed the role of hiker wrangler, which was a ton of fun. But this year I've decided to try the hike again; however, I intend to actually prepare for it this time. Maybe by training I will actually be able to walk the day after--anyone care to place a bet? :)

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Seems like I always catch your posts right after they come up. I guess I am just that eager beaver! I had acrylic nails once and they ruined my own nails for many, many months! Jon got stuck in the mess of the police shooting too on his way to work. Pretty scary stuff! I'm glad you are figuring out Olivia. Elijah doesn't respond to a raised voice either, it just escalates him. And that is my odds and ends :)