Thursday, November 13, 2008

does anyone else do this?

I still check on my kids each night after they've gone to bed to make sure they are still breathing. Anyone else do that? Ethan is 4--I don't honestly believe he'll stop breathing but it is a habit I picked up when he was a baby and I just haven't shaken it.

One of my favorite things to do each night before I crawl into bed is to check on both kids. I go to Ethan's room first, give him a kiss and smooth his hair. Then I go to Olivia's room and rub her back for a moment. Only then can I crawl into bed. I don't think I could sleep if I skipped this step and when the kids aren't there at night, this is the time I miss them the most!

I think what I am really doing is enjoying their sweet quietness--it prepares me for another day of craziness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

granted, I'm only 7 months in but yes, I do this every night (multiple times) including just before I go to bed. I think I probably always will. It's just a nice moment. :)

Jill said...

I can say I do not do this. I usually just go in once to fix their blankets, (or put limbs back up in the bed). I am fairly confident at this time that they will still be breathing in the am. They are nice to watch when they are sleeping though aren't they?

Gmax said...

Josie is 2 1/2 and I still do this every night! Its almost like brusing my teeth- I am incapable of going to be without checking for breathing and retucking under covers. At this point I also know she won't stop breathing, but its a habit I doubt I can break. My mother-in-law once told me she did the same thing to my husband until he was practically a teenager!