Tuesday, July 8, 2008

a big day for baby sister

Olivia just took her first steps! Seriously, just a few minutes ago. It was amazing! She took one step, didn't fall over so she decided to keep going. She ended up taking three steps before falling down. I find it very fun that the novelty of a child taking their first steps doesn't wear off with the second child. I'm guessing that even those with many children still find it amazing.

Had a scary experience with Olivia yesterday. We took the kids to Don Pablo's for lunch while we were out running errands. Olivia was eating chicken nuggets, nothing unusual there. Then she started choking. She has choked before but I was never too concerned because she would still be making noise. Not this time. Silence. Wide open mouth. Face and mouth turning blue. I was TERRIFIED. I smacked her back a few times. Nothing. I stuck my finger in her mouth looking for the food. Nothing. I started to freak. I yanked her out of her chair and started pushing on her stomach. Suddenly she started screaming, food was all clear. Not sure what did it--I think I stuck my finger so far down her throat that I made her gag and that might be what cleared it. Choking is not funny at all. I think Olivia was pretty freaked too. She insisted on being held the rest of the meal--and those of you that have seen her eat know that this girl doesn't let much come between her and food! :)

2 comments:

Stephanie Balvin said...

YEA on walking NAE on choking! That is so scary and I can feel your panic through reading this. I am glad she is ok and moving around.

Anonymous said...

I swear my heart was racing just reading about the choking....sooooo scary! but YAY on the first steps!