Sunday, June 15, 2008

Poll is up!

Again I call upon my legions of readers--please help me determine the appropriate course of action regarding my window boxes! I have window boxes across my front window. I have flowers (snapdragons and petunias) in them but they are not faring very well. The spot gets really hot so the plants dry out super fast and I'm not too diligent about watering them. So I'm wondering if I could get away with tasteful silk flowers in place of real flowers in the spot. I would probably have to replace them each summer but at least they would look good instead of looking shriveled! Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rach -

Since your outdoor faucet is right next to your window boxes, you could purchase a watering timer that would water your plants a couple of times a day without your intervention. That should keep the plants well watered and living colorful life!
Doug

Nicole said...

Not silk!! Having worked in a greenhouse for 3 summers, my attempts at averting a silk garden...fertilize...try adding some moss to the the soil to help retain moisture. Snapdragons not ideal for window box in sun. Petunias should flourish, maybe add some gernaiums and some sort of filler that is suntolerant...all sorts of good "pot stuffers" different nettles etc. I can look up some names...NOT SILK, NOT SILK!! :)