Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Adventures in gardening

Although my poll results are split 50/50 regarding the window box, I have decided to refrain from adding silks. I took the advice of my dear friend Nicole--she's in Canada where it is still snowing, bless her heart. ;) I added moss to the window boxes, which was a great idea. It is absorbing water like a sponge so it keeps things nice and moist. My gardening partner in crime, Josie (my mom), brought me some gazanias to plant in the boxes. The tag on them says they are "ideal for hot and dry situations", which is precisely what I have. This could be the year for my window boxes! I'll keep you posted.

Also, I must share the news of my climbing rose. Three years ago I planted a William Bafin Canadian Explorer climbing rose at the entrance to the house. It did okay but I wasn't sure it would be a long term thing. Well, it is going gangbusters this year and I am loving it! I wander past it several times a day just to check it out. I'm hoping that it will grow up high enough to cover the post on our front porch. I have to keep wrestling the branches to tie them back--the plant naturally wants to spread horizontally so it takes a bit of work but totally worth it! So if you are looking for a plant to fill a space vertically, check out these climbing roses! Don't be scared by the fact that they are roses--they are super easy and bred to live in cold climates like ours.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Holy crap! I was reading over the past few blogs, and realized that I'm WAY out of the loop! You are CRAZY busy with stuff, girl! ;)

I think it would look FANTASTIC to move your kitchen over! that's basically what we've got here- the kitchen in one corner, with it open through into the family room, and it is so nice and open! If you've got plumbing, maybe it won't be too bad?? ;)

That sucks about the colonoscopy! But that's great that the polyp was clipped and you're in the clear! My cousin Kaley was diagnosed with colon cancer in jan. and she was 20 at the time... she was doing the same as you- trying to find out why she was having such intense gastro issues... They found a big, mushroom-shaped hog in there that was totally cancer.... She's awesome now- nothing has spread... They said that it was so great that she'd been in, and that polyps are pretty common- it's just REALLY rare that they become cancerous in young people... so no worries! Just enjoy the thought that every 3 years you get to drink that lovely cocktail and get a flashlight up your arse! ;)

gotta go- kael's being a monkey! love you friend- kisses to the beautiful kids! -cw