Tuesday, December 23, 2008

it just isn't the same

Cookie Monster of Sesame Street residence no longer eats cookies with reckless abandon. He often eats oatmeal raisin cookies and only in moderation (his words). Okay. I get that childhood obesity (and adult obesity, for that matter) is a problem. However, I don't think that Cookie Monster eating chocolate chip cookies like, well, a cookie monster is what is making kids fat. We all watched Cookie Monster in his glory days and I don't think any of us felt compelled to stuff our faces with cookies simply because he did it. Adults struggle with obesity for a miriad of reasons--none of which I feel can be linked back to Sesame Street. It makes me sad that our kids aren't able to have the freedom to just be kids like we did!

1 comment:

Stephanie Balvin said...

I agree, I have never heard a kid say, "I eat too much because cookie Monster gets to smash cookies in his mouth! If cookie monster showed some self control I wouldn't be overweight!"

Where is human accountability? When did we start pointing the finger at everyone else for our problems and stop pointing it at ourselves?